Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Limbo, limbo, limbo...

Tonight I took a journey down memory lane and went to Skate World with the elementary kids from Rosedale Church. Imagine about 50 four- to ten-year olds who have been skating maybe once before in their lives, all stumbling, shuffling, falling, shrieking out on the cold floor of the skating rink, loud Christian rock and rap music videos being played out, projected onto the concrete back wall, and the adult volunteers trying desperately to avoid wiping out with the one or two kids who are clinging to their arms and legs like barnacles to the side of a whale.

I have many, many fond memories of going to Skate City in Chanute, taking kids from Cherry Street, going myself in my neon-green-and-hot-pink roller blades with gel wheels!!! and always wanting to be on the skate racing team....yeah I still get yelled at in the skating rink for going too fast...Skating always feels so freeing, just gliding along in circles, movin' to the music, following the disco ball lights with your feet, playing limbo, falling flat on your face, laughing, getting back up, skating backwards, and just moving.

These kids from Rosedale Church were so fun to take skating. Lots of them had never been before, and I have to admit, as long as the kid doesn't knock himself out, it's hilarious to watch them skate around the rink, legs wobbly, arms flailing out in an attempt to keep their balance, shrieking with laughter when they collide with each other or the wall - I only saw one kid actually come off the rink crying. And I've decided that my new favorite thing in the world is those Fisher Price toddler skates - the ones that don't really roll, just kinda chink-chink-chink across the floor, and you don't really have to worry about the kid falling too awful much.

Sooooo in closing - I love roller skating. I think I should take it up as my new hobby.....

And I'm going to a three-day medical missions conference this week in Louisville, Kentucky this week! Going with a bunch of friends from church and work, we're road-trippin' it up there and back, and it is gonna be the bomb. I am pumped. Of course we're leaving Thursday morning at 8 am....and I work Wednesday night, 7 pm - 7 am....so I will be either delirious or comatose or both by the time we get there Thursday afternoon....woop woop for medical missions!!!

No comments: